Tuesday, April 21, 2009

We're in the milk again

My friend's milk cow has calved and the time of colostrum is done and that cow is producing enough milk for several calves and two families (she is Jersey x Brown Swiss). This is her second year and she is much better at milking - no kicking or fussing and the milk comes much easier. I milked out a half gallon and my only trouble was that my hands got really sore.

The calf is very cute. They are already making excuses not to have him go to the freezer. His daddy is a beef variety, however. I missed pictures of the bummer lambs - so cute!



I came right home and made yogurt and have been reading up on cheese making. Ummmm. Good thing I'm out riding the bike - that fresh milk and all the things it makes is dangerously yummy.

5 comments:

ilex said...

I bought a cow share (100% Jersey- yum) several months ago; for a while I was getting one gallon every 2 weeks- perfectly manageable for yogurt making. But now the farmer wants to step it up to 1 gallon a week because his business is taking off. I'm awash in wonderful Jersey milk! But cheesemaking doesn't call to me like fermenting... Still, I hate to waste a single drop of this fabulous milk. I bought Ricki Carrol's book a few months ago and I've barely cracked it. I just can't understand my resistance to cheesemaking.

There is nothing cuter than a newborn calf- except maybe a newborn goat kid.

Christy said...

I'm getting a quart a day from my goat. A bunch has already gone into the freezer. I've made ice cream, pudding and I'm making fudge tonight. No cheese yet. Maybe next week.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

We have a milk share too, Jersey also, mostly. Sometimes we have different cow. So, so yummy. I couldn't go back to even the raw bottled milk, I've been spoiled. I like to Keifr the milk that we don't drink straight up. Body Ecology Kefir culture is best, I think...taste wise....and so easy, just pop in in and put the milk on the counter, no tricky warming.

Tara said...

I miss my milk goat! Still scouting around for another (or two). I have managed to find a source for raw cow's milk to bridge the gap, but pickup isn't until Tuesday, so I had to break down and (gasp!) buy STORE MILK. Blech.

Connie said...

I hated buying store milk. Even my 15 yr. old was ready for raw milk again.